Volkswagen T2 Camper
1971 T2 Campervan
£28,000 to £46,000
This exact car was £37,500.
Built Q1 2023
This T2 Campervan has been carefully looked after for over 15 years by its pop-star owner. It’s immaculate both inside and out and is enjoyed for regular day camping trips to the countryside surrounding London. Unfortunately, its air-cooled engine became unreliable as fuel additives changed over the years, particularly the latest E10 petrol. It’s now not got that problem, with a large Tesla battery pack and an electric motor, camping is now emission-free.
|Electric Conversion||Original Petrol Engine|
|Power||120 Horsepower||60 Horsepower|
|Acceleration (0-60mph)||14 Seconds||50 Seconds|
|Emissions||0||3.7 Tonnes of CO2 per annum|
|Charging||6.6kW AC Charging|
- Specialist EV conversion motor, the Netgain Hyper9, mounted to the original 4-speed manual gearbox.
- Original clutch and flywheel maintained, allowing for gear changes if desired.
- City/countryside driving uses 3rd gear exclusively, A-Road/motorway driving uses 4th gear.
- 53kWh of Tesla Model S batteries used, this consists of 10 modules.
- Four battery modules mounted under the bed and six modules mounted in the rear (where the fuel tank was).
- Batteries are wired in two series loops which are paralleled together, producing 120 volts.
- Entire battery pack is water cooled and monitored using state of the art battery management systems.
- Charging is possible from any EV charge point, as well as from a 3-pin plug at home.
- Standard AC charging allows for an 8 hour full charge.
- Charging from a 3-pin plug allows for a 18 hour full charge.
- Regenerative braking input controlled by brake pedal.
- Gauges swapped for custom made period dials, showing speed, current, temperature, and state of charge.
- 3kW heater provides cabin heating through original ducting.
- Fully reversible powertrain design.
- Leisure battery charged by traction battery pack.
- Built: Q1 2023